This recipe dates back to the 1930’s or ‘40’s, or possibly even earlier. Matrimonial rolls, so the story goes, will help a girl win a husband! I’m sure it works the other way around, too, guys who love to bake! And even if you’ve already caught your special someone, these rolls might just make them fall in love with you all over again!
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons honey or 1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4–5 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan. When melted, turn off the heat. Add milk and honey and stir. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water.
2. Pour butter mixture into bowl of a heavy duty stand mixer such as the KitchenAid Artisan, and when it has cooled to lukewarm, add the yeast mixture. Beat in eggs, then add one cup of flour and the salt. Mix well. Add remaining flour ½ cup at a time to make a soft dough. Switch to dough hook and let your KitchenAid do the kneading on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
3. Shape dough into a smooth ball and place in a buttered bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled. Turn dough out onto a buttered countertop and deflate with your palms. Re-shape into a ball and return to the bowl to rise a second time, covered. Meanwhile, generously butter a 13×9-inch (33×23 cm) baking pan or 12-inch (30 cm) round cake pan.
4. Turn dough onto lightly buttered countertop and flatten with your palms. Use a dough cutter or chef’s knife to divide into rolls: 24 for a 13×9-inch (33×23 cm) pan or 16 for a 12-inch (30 cm) round cake pan. Shape dough smoothly into rolls, pull the skin taut and pinch seams on the bottom. Arrange in prepared pan and let rise while oven preheats to 375°F (190°C).
5. Bake rolls about 30 minutes, until golden brown on top, golden on bottom, and baked through. Enjoy!
Keywords: soft, KitchenAid, old fashioned
Find it online: https://chocolateboxcottage.tv/recipe-box/kitchenaid-soft-rolls/
Receive special recipes and cottage wisdom directly to your inbox!